Located on the western coast of Tablas Island in Romblon group. The present Municipality of San Andres was formerly a negative village settlement of nipa huts known by the name Parpaguha was a big and rare bird that had its nest among the thickest of trees along the river bank where settlement was located.

    The first spaniard to reach Parpaguha during the latter half of the nineteenth century was Don Jose de Tiran, the military commander of Romblon who set out aninspection trip of the surrounding village. On reaching the place he was so tired and thirsty, shouting for water to drink, he ordered a guardia civil to fetch a glass of water from a nearby well. The water turned out to be somewhat salty and the spaniard yelled “Salado”. That was how the village was remembered by the Spaniards and later called it with the name “SALADO” issuing an official order to that effect. Sometime in 1882, a prominent resident of Salado name Rufino Leañ who was later to become the organizer and the first priest of the Philippine Independent Church in the locality,was unjustly accused of crime by an influential Spaniard, Don Barcelo succeeded in having Leaño imprisoned. With the type of justice in those days of Spanish administration, the helpless Leañ was jailed without trial in provincial of Capiz to which Romblon then blong to sub-province.

    A couple years later as Providence would have it, a Spanish Governor General Eulogio Despujol Visited Capiz taking the opportunity to appeal his case< Leaño innocent set him free. The latter, in gratitude to his savior gave him back his liberty. On reaching back his hometown, Rufino petitioned the Provincial Governor to change the name of Salado to “Despujols” in honor of the Governor General. The petition was granted and for the second time the town had a new name Despujols.

    The third change of the name came during the late years of President Carlos P. Garcia’s administration. Upon request of the residents of Despujols for the reason that their town’s name was a sad reminiscent of Spanish tyranny in the Philippines, Despujols was changed to San Andres. The new name is in generation of the town’s patron Saint Andrew the Patron, the fishermen, and the most of the pople of San Andres, even today, are fishermen by occupation.

The name changing was officialized in a executive order of former President Carlos P. Garcia, under the Republic Act 3358, AN ACT CHANGING THE NAME OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF DESPUJOLS, PROVINCE OF ROMBLON TO SAN ANDRES, enacted in June 18 1961.

    Since it became an independent municipality with its President and Mayors respectively in the year 1920 up to the incumbent administration, there were 22 of them who made San Andres a town of honor that orders pay high respect in account of their leaders and tangible projects.

  • Enhance local leadership and management and promote peoples participation in governance.
  • Develop the organizational capability through human resources development program and improve resouruce generation strategy
  • Improve economic situation in the community by developing the tourist potentials and production capability of farmers and fisher folks to have access to livelihood opportunities, resource management and application of appropriate technologies.
  • Improve social services through enhancement of health and sanitation capability, proper nutrition and better and quality education.
  • Preserve conserve and protect natural resources and maintain ecological balance through measures that ensure sustainability of land, water and marine resources.